O’Brien County, Iowa is proud to be an official Home Base Iowa County!
Home Base Iowa’s mission is to make Iowa the state of choice for military men and women as they transition to civilian careers. Home Base Iowa will provide veterans with resources that can open doors to job opportunities, welcoming communities, and on-going engagement with the military community.
For more information on the State of Iowa Home Base Iowa program go to: www.homebaseiowa.org
This initiative is to ensure that O’Brien County is doing everything that we can to welcome military members and their families as they leave military service and transition to a civilian lifestyle.
Components of the Home Base Iowa Act (Senate File 303)
- Military Pension Income Tax Exemption: All Military pensions will be fully exempt from state income tax. This exemption is retroactive to Jan. 1 2014.
- Military Homeownership Assistance Program: A program through the Iowa Finance Authority will expand the budget to provide for up to $5000 of down payment or closing cost assistance to eligible veterans. This applies to those who have served since 9/11 as well as those that served during the Gulf War of 90/91.
- Permissive Veterans Preference: The Home Base Iowa Act will clarify that it is legal for private businesses to provide veterans preferential treatment in hiring decisions.
- Occupational Licensure: Iowa’s occupational licensing boards will adopt rules allowing credit for military training and experience in the licensing process.
- Education: The state Board of Education will create a uniform policy granting automatic in-state tuition to veterans, their spouses, and their dependents at Iowa’s community colleges.
- License Plates: Eligible applicants will be issued veterans-related license plates (such as Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and Silver Star) for free.